I love&hate frosting.
Yes, frosting is sweet, and some can even make it tasty. But after eating 1/2 a cupcake I feel the sugar rushing and gushing in my veins. And after eating 3/4 of a cupcake I feel a sugar intoxication going through my bones and my brains. (And I think about diabetes too…)
This is why I can never bring myself to make frosting at home! But, the other day, there was a birthday. And, a little girl asked for cupcakes. What was I to do?
I considered making a sour cream frosting. It sounded “healthier” and less fatty than cream cheese frosting, and hopefully, I thought, it’ll contain less sugar. See an example recipe for cream cheese frosting (for 24 cupcakes!):
- 2 sticks butter, softened
- 1 pound cream cheese, softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 cups confectioners’ sugar
OMG, who eats like that and lives to tell? That’s 2.6 tablespoons of suagr for the frosting only on each cupcake + add the sugar in the cake… Wowza.
(People, I think I’m becoming a “health” fanatic by the second… also see: Orange yogurt cake and… too much SUGAR!)
As I Googled-Binged “sour cream frosting for cupcakes” I found recipes like:
- 1/2 cup of butter (1 stick), room temperature
- 8 oz of Philly cream cheese (1 package), room temperature
- 2 – 3 cups of powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cup confectioners’ sugar (add more until it reaches your preferred consistency)
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 2 teaspoon vanilla bean paste
- 2 tablespoons sour cream
- 4 Tbsp butter, softened
1/2 cup sour cream
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 tsp lemon juice
1/4 tsp salt
2-3/4 cups confectioners’ sugar
- 1/4 cup of butter, room temperature
1/3 cup of sour cream
2 1/2 cups of powdered sugar
1/8 teaspoon of vanilla extract
pinch of salt
- 1/2 CUP (1 STICK) unsalted butter
- 3 CUPS powdered sugar
- 1 TEASPOON vanilla extract
- 3 TO 4 TABLESPOONS milk
OK, you got the picture. You can’t get away with using less then 2 – 2.5 cups of sugar for 12-24 cupcakes. (I really should try to make one with no more and 1/4 cup sugar and see what happens…. Sometimes in the future…)
I felt discouraged so I figured out let’s just drop off the whole frosting part. But what was I to do?
The solution? Real, homemade, freshly-whipped whipped cream! My favorite!
With a thin layer of red currant jelly (it tasted the best) on top of each chocolate cupcake + 2 tablespoons of vanilla flavored whipped cream (The whole batch of 1 cup heavy cream was made with only 1.5 tablespoons of sugar) + sprinkles + 1 marshmallow (Yeah, I know, marshmallow is not the healthiest choice, but… and… it’s only one) all the kids were very, very happy!